I chose a “Distraction-Free Phone” life.
- My phone is always SILENT and on DND (Do Not Disturb).
- The first ring is enough; don’t call me repeatedly. I’ll call you back.
- Email and other forms of text messages are better alternatives.
- No. Nothing is an urgency.
- I reserve the right to avoid all unscheduled and unknown calls.
We should start treating loud ringing phones in public like smoking - an irritant and polluting agent for people around. Almost all phones have a way to indicate an incoming phone call -- be it the vibrate mode or the blinking light. It is possible not to have phones that ring every time there is an incoming call. The ideal solution should be a mandate to ban all loud phone sounds in public.
Phone makers can help transition to a better and civilized world by implementing silent phones by default.
- Phones are on silent mode by default and have to explicitely turn the mode off (reverse of the current trend).
- Make vibrate mode default instead of ringing sound.
- Notifications, alerts, etc. should have sound disabled by default except for emergencies and government mandated global alerts.